Tuesday 15 December 2015

Favourite Festive Films

If there's one thing I love more than alliteration, it's seasonally themed alliteration. At this time of the year, Sunday's are reserved for festive film watching (because what better way to prepare yourself for the week ahead than by cosying up with a film that doesn't really make a lot of sense, but you enjoy it anyway because it's centred around Christmas?). It has to be said, some of the bad Christmas films are bad, but below are my five favourites that  I watch each year, without fail:

A Muppets Christmas Carol
I one-hundred per cent credit this film for helping me achieve an A* on an essay I wrote about A Christmas Carol in GCSE English Literature way back in the day. Sure, I read the actual Charles Dickens novel, I had to, but I remember picturing Kermit the Frog sobbing over Tiny Tim as I wrote my essay. I never told my teacher that though, obviously. The Muppets are so perfect in this film and there isn't one song on the soundtrack I don't love. I do my best to save watching this until Christmas Eve, but it's almost impossible.

Christmas with the Kranks
Every year I become more aware of how completely redonk the storyline of this film is. But oh my word, I love it so much. Really though, are there actually people living in suburban American towns who synchronize the decorating of their houses at Christmas time and will quite literally feed you to a mob of carol singers if you decide that hey, this year I kinda wanna go on a cruise so imma sit this one out? It's baffling. And truly amazing. I should start a petition to get Tim Allen in all Christmas films.

The Santa Clause
Another Tim Allen CLASSIC. I mean, who hasn't dreamed about their dad being Santa?! Obviously, the majority of us have seen our dad's dressed up in a not-so-convincing red coat attire, but I mean, the real life Santa. Imagine. This film is also so nineties that it fills me with joy simply because of that, and the kid who plays Charlie is too adorable for words. The casting in general is just magic. #SANTAISLACTOSEINTOLERANT

Miracle on 34th Street
This film reminds me so much of my childhood. Every Christmas Eve I would watch this with my mum and it would be utterly joyous. It's a bit of a deep storyline if we're being really honest but that house at the end is the absolute definition of goals. Also the little girl is so cute.

Nativity!
I mean, it's a musical. About Christmas. A MUSICAL ABOUT CHRISTMAS. This just doesn't get old, no matter how many times I watch it. I'm not so sure how I feel about the sequels in the franchise but this film is so brilliant I can almost forgive the film makers for attempting to exploit its success. I can't say I remember the Christmas run up being quite so intense during my school days, so I enjoy living vicariously through this school. Also, Jason Watkins is amaze.

I've also discovered Nescafe mint mochas and they are fabulusssss.
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment