Thursday 17 December 2015

A Day in the Life: Meetings, Mocktails & Marmite

Well that title is horrendously more satisfying to me than it should be. Alliteration is so spiritually fulfilling I almost can't breathe. It also probably makes a typical day in my life sound a little on the strange side...

But if we're being honest, this particular day was one of the stranger I've lived through because I spent the majority of it in one of the largest shopping centres in London, Westfield. I heard tales of France and limited edition cars while sipping on foreignly-spiced mocktails, glided around an ice-rink and tried to take sneaky snaps whenever possible. Who knew digital marketing would be so active.

9:40am The perilous train journey from Windsor to Shepherds Bush begins. Hop on a train to the exotic content of Slough. Connecting train to Ealing Broadway is delayed by 15 minutes (good job Great Western Railways). Use the time to ponder where this 'Ealing Broadway' place is.

10:57am Arrive at Westfield in the knick of time. Hurry towards the meeting location, dodging happy shoppers and wishing I hadn't chosen today to break in my new (but thoroughly beautiful) ankle boots. Welcomed with bespoke four ingredient mocktails that've been created to celebrate the launch of the new DS 4. Secretly hope the drinks are less 'mock', more cock-; alcohol.

11:15am Taken to the secret top floor of Westfield where about a million boardrooms can be found. The temperature of the room is approximately -100 degrees celsius. Everyone seems in a chipper mood. Sip mocktail absentmindedly while still trying to identify the ingredients. The presentations are actually rather interesting and notes are scribbled down in my company branded notebook which I occasionally position in a way that shows off the embossing. #WorkBitch. There's so much secret stuff discussed that I attempt to tune out so I don't put myself at risk of accidentally blurting it out to someone I shouldn't at a later date. #BlabbermouthProbs

12:30pm Buffet lunch is served. Why must everyone serve a buffet lunch? *groan*.

1:30pm We head to the ice rink. The lead presenter mutters "we're from DS" to the guy at the desk and we're all whisked through like VIPs. Which we sort of are, considering DS Automobiles are sponsoring said ice rink and their logo is plastered everywhere. Ice skates are hugely uncomfortable and it takes a while to shake the rust from my ice skating skills until soon I'm stumbling around the ice like a pro. Others fall, I do not. Others fly around and perform twists and turns, I do not. Not sure how to feel about getting hot and bothered while ice skating. Fake snow showers from a machine above and it's hard not to burst into every song from the Frozen soundtrack.

2pm We have a nose around the DS Automobiles stand outside The Village and see the web app we built in practice. It is opposite the Marmite Pop up store. We head into the Marmite pop up store. I leave the Marmite pop up store with a jar with my name on it. Love life once again.

3:04pm Get back on the underground. Realise we got on the wrong train. Spend ten minutes at North Acton waiting for the correct train to turn up. Feet are really starting to hurt now.

4:34pm Make it back to Windsor in time to realise that while gallivanting at events is fun, the normal every day stuff still piles up and there is mucho work to be done. It's all a bit stressful and as the office empties, we're still hard at it. Who'd have thought the Christmas season would be so hectic...

7pm Feet are crazy sore and I limp back to my car and head home via Sainsbury's to pick up some dinner and a punnet of blueberries that I absolutely must not forget. Forgets punnet of blueberries. Life is awful.

7:51pm Eat dinner, attempting to control disappointment over lack of blueberries. Wash hair, prepare self for next working day. Mood is lightened slightly with the realisation that the following day houses a Christmas lunch with another client, Honda.

Dreams of crackers, turkey and it being socially acceptable to midweek day drink.
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment