Sunday 14 August 2016

What I Learnt From Twenty One


I feel like I've just blinked and suddenly it's August twelfth again and I'm telling everyone how important it is to celebrate me and the fact that I exist!

Twenty one was one hell of a learning curve for me. I know I'm going to say that pretty much every year until I die, or you know, stop caring (whichever comes first), but I really feel like I've emerged from the grips of the past year stronger, better, faster, stronger (hands down the best Kanye song ever, can I just say).

But you know what's great about aging? (Besides being able to complain about loud noises and tutting whenever a youth is within your vicinity) Wisdom. You get chucked in right at the deep end when adult life begins, but once you get over the initial shock of being in ice-cold shark infested waters, you gradually learn how to stay afloat and keep your head above the water. Am I queen of the metaphor? Potentially. So here's a little round up of what I think the last twelve months taught me:

  1. Adults actually don't have it figured out. Every single person you know is without a doubt, winging it.

  2. There's a difference between making a living and making a life. I just haven't quite mastered it yet.

  3. How amazing it is to witness all my friends succeeding at what they love.

  4. Not everyone is out to get you. But some occasionally some people are.

  5. The importance of finishing a day and being done with it.

  6. How truly lucky I am, despite (what feels like) constant setbacks.

  7. It doesn't matter where you are, if you order sparkling water, you is fancy.

  8. People won't understand why you're saving for a rainy day, until that rainy day happens.

  9. I may no longer be in education, but learning new things is more important than ever.

  10. Prosecco is the blood given unto us by the Greek Gods.

  11. You're allowed to scream, you're allowed to cry, you're allowed to swear; but you are never allowed to give up.

  12. You are far stronger than you will ever give yourself credit for.

Here's to the next jam-packed 363 days!
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment