Thursday 28 April 2016

The Scents of Spring


Being a purveyor of an extortionate (and downright ridiculous) number of scented candles, I'm all for swapping and changing the candles I burn based on my mood, the weather, the season, what day of the week it is. You know, casual stuff.

I'm a huge fan of fresh scents all year round because frankly, why on earth would you want your house to smell like artificial (and oh my lord so sickly) vanilla cupcakes? Yankee Candle, I'm looking at you.

Excusing the accidental alliteration here: fresh, fruity and floral tones are my absolute favourite because they're usually the lightest scents when they're burning, making them perfect for small spaces (ie my bedroom) or for keeping a subtle scent for a longer length of time.

Below are three of my ultimate loves...


1. CHAMOMILE & VIOLET BY WAX LYRICAL

I never realised quite what a mix of layers this candle contains. According to the creators this fragrance includes: "chamomile and violet layered with delicate citrus notes of lemon blossom on a base of musks and precious woods. A blend of armoise, elemi, lavandin & orange essential oils". No corners cut here, thank you very much!

I keep this candle tucked safely away in its original boxed packaging whenever I'm not burning it regularly and as soon as I re-open it, the scent hits me as profoundly as it did the first time. If it was possible to make your soul smile, this candle would do it for me. This scent is perfect for lazy Sunday afternoons and leaves lasting floral notes well into evening time.

I bought this for £20 as a small treat to myself last Easter and if the fifty-five hour burn time is anything to go by, I've still got a whole lot of fragrance left to enjoy.


2. SEASHORE BY TRUE GRACE

Described as "a scent balanced with geranium, neroli, cedarwood and moss", I coveted this candle for well over a year before it finally joined my collection. In glass form it can be purchased for £25, but it is also available in a tin for £16. 

So often candle companies give their scents the fanciest of names and just assume that that's how this works. Not so, my friend. If you want to name your candle 'Christmas', then you need it to really smell like Christmas. But I digress, the point here is that this candle smells exactly as it's titled. Like a brazen, blustery (British) walk along a seashore. It's one of the most comforting candles I've ever burnt and for that reason, I know for a fact that I'll always have a glass, tin or diffuser with me, wherever I end up.

 It's also made of natural wax (always a pro) and can burn for up to forty hours.


3. APPLE AND ELDERFLOWER BY THE EVAL CANDLE COMPANY

This absolutely perfect combination of succulent crunchy green apples and the sweetness of elderflower berries is, in my opinion, what makes this candle so light, uplifting and joyful to be surrounded by. To me, it's the perfect morning scent; where your curtains are pulled back, the windows are wide open and the sunlight and fresh air can wash over everything.

Don't be fooled by the size of the tin, for £9 this scent is mighty enough to fill any space, and is said to burn for up to forty-five hours.



What are your signature spring scents?
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment