Thursday 19 November 2015

What I've learnt about business so far

This week marks three months since I began my new life as a digital marketing account executive (which means I've passed my probation period and I'm a fully fledged member of the team! #balling) and if I think about it, it's been a pretty crazy ride so far. I've been involved in some hella cool things and had to maneuver my way through some tricky challenges (surprisingly, it ain't all plain sailing). This is only the beginning of course, but here's what I've learnt so far (besides the fact that business cards are like an albatross around your neck):

1. Every client thinks they're your only client
It's normal practice to pick up the phone to a client and hear them say "oh hey, yeah we'd like you to build this super cool awesome mega app with both iOS and Android capabilities and it needs to do this, this and this and be ready in two days time". Right. Let me just magic this out of my behind.

2. Clients are more often than not, completely wrong
But you will absolutely never tell them. Go figure.

3. They are also the sneakiest individuals you'll ever meet
They'll try and weasel their way around getting more out of you than their contract allows. Kudos to them for trying, but directors aren't idiots, so that ain't gonna fly.

4. It's all about tact
You want your client to like you (and by extension, the agency), so you laugh at their jokes, ask how their kids are doing and never tell them how you really feel.

5. Keep your eyes wide open
Everyone has their own agenda, even people who should be on the same side as you. 

6. People talk about their kids a lot
Which is super awkward and hard to relate to when you don't have your own.

7. It's not a 9am-5:30pm way of life
Marketing is a twenty-four hour, three-hundred-sixty-five day job. Digital doesn't sleep, so neither should you.

8. Sticking to an NDA is really really hard
You know something is super awesome when you have to sign a three-page document legally binding your mouth shut. And that just makes it a thousand times harder not to tell everyone you know.

9. A well organised inbox is the most therapeutic of things
My inbox is divided into six mailboxes and forty-one sub-mailboxes (yes I've counted them). Everything has its place and I can always find exactly what I need. It's magnificently reassuring and just generally good for the soul.

10. It's ok to make mistakes
I don't think you ever stop learning in a job like this, and I think that's one of the beautiful things about it.

~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment