Friday 13 November 2015

An Autumnal Weekend Morning Routine

I usually wake up on a Saturday morning the way I imagine a bear emerges in the Spring after a long winter of hibernation - absolutely no idea where I am, what day it is, what time it is, or what my name is. After I manage to get my bearings (ha!) and establish it's 2015 and I'm wearing pajamas, I fumble around to find my iPad to check the time. It always seems to be around 7:50am, which means one of two things: 1) It's the weekend 2) My alarm failed me and I'm extremely late for work.

Thankfully, today it is the former; so I grab my phone, unplug the charger and observe my SleepCycle statistics for that night. Normally it tells me I haven't slept well. Shock. Then it's onto Timehop where I mentally curse the person I was on Twitter six years ago (one of today's hop highlights was "damn you wizards of waverly place and hannah montana, i need to revise!". Admittedly, if we remove the revision part, that sounds like something I'd post even today... but I digress). Then I check my mailbox; I tend to read my Quartz Daily Brief on my iPhone because I'm way too impatient to load up my laptop to check the latest news.
Time for a good stretch to put all those bones back into place and head to the bathroom; I'm one of those people who can't function unless they have a clean face (anyone else the same?). Once that's done it's on with my warm cosy slippers and down the stairs to chug a glass of water and boil up some coffee (one spoon of Douwe Egberts Pure Gold + skimmed milk + three teaspoons of Starbucks Vanilla Syrup + hot water = perfection).

I then attempt to precariously carry my mug back upstairs without spilling anything, light a scented candle (lately my candle of choice is Rain Washed Linen from Urban Market Candles), snuggle under my duvet and catch up on the latest episode of How to Get Away With Murder. This show is tantalizingly good!
Once I'm all caught up on various TV shows, what's been going down on social media and I've established there's no other way for me to procrastinate getting up properly, I head back to the bathroom and jump in a steamy hot shower; hair care and skin care inclusive, obvs.

Picking an outfit for the day takes a stupidly long amount of time, especially considering I usually end up wearing the same thing. Recently it's been my favourite Gap girlfriend jeans, a basic tee and an oversized grandpa cardigan. Simple, comfy, cosy, fab.
With very few exceptions, I go make-up free at the weekend to give my skin and eyes a well deserved break, so the only thing going on my face is moisturiser... and an array of other products that help protect my entire body from the cold.

Until finally, it's time for some breakfast! (whew!) I can never resist my favourite bitesize Honey Nut Shredded Wheat with blueberries, and on this occasion, a chopped plum (aren't I fancy). I tend to eat at the dining room table so I can catch up with my parents and plan the day ahead. My Saturdays of late tend to include running errands in my trusty Fiat 500, buying copious amounts of fresh produce and baking with spelt. It is marvelous!
You'll probably have clocked onto the running theme of things being "my favourite", that's because I am a firm believer that weekends should include nothing but your favourite things.
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment