Tuesday 20 August 2013

How to survive Freshman Year

Own it like you're Sharpay Evans
University is pretty much the biggest and scariest thing I've ever done. I know everyone probably says that, but I had turned 18 a matter of weeks earlier and suddenly I was getting shipped off to a town 50 miles away to learn the art of advertising, and most importantly, fending for myself.

The whole experience ripped me straight out of my comfort zone and dropped me into a sea of entirely new people, and entirely new experiences -- and though I spent more nights than I'd care to admit wishing to be anywhere else, I wouldn't change any of the last year; I learnt far too much to be ungrateful for the situations I found myself in.


So, here's a list of 10 things I learnt last year (in the form of advice points, apparently):


1. Talk to everyone

At university, everyone is new so everyone's trying to make friends and fit in; so straight from the off, be open, friendly and positive about everyone you meet. On my first day of university I promised myself I would do just this, and now, a year later, I'm living with two of the girls I met that very first day (and a third is one of my closest friends) - anything can happen!

2. Say YES. But also no.
There are so many new opportunities at university - take them all! But if you want to stay in and watch a movie or have an early night that's ok too! Missing one party will not ruin your university experience. Don't believe all the peer pressure bullshit, please. 

3. Your old friendships will change. It's ok. Let them.

If you move away, you can't expect your friendships with people you left behind to stay the same. It's not realistic and it's not fair. You're living different lives now; you will always be BFFs (because that's what you scribbled into birthday cards and notebooks) but you have to understand that the dynamics will change and you may grow apart. Skype your bestie as little or often as you want - don't totally cut off your old friends, but give each other breathing room and your relationship will feel better for it. 

4. Do not simply eat ready meals

They aren't nutritional and they will ruin your skin and probably give you mood swings or something. Cook every once in a while - I am a terrible cook but I had a lot of fun dancing around the kitchen whipping up some crazy food concoctions. Don't forget your veggies either!

5. Long distance relationships CAN work

Admittedly, this didn't quite work out for me, but a bunch of my friends succeeded in keeping their relationships alive and happy - and why not? If you're committed and you know it's what you want, there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work. Unless they're a jackass. Wait, what.

6. Sadness and heartbreak bring out the greatness in you

Sorry for the downer, but this right here is the honest to god truth. Being out in the world on your own will be tough, and you will spend nights crying into your pillow blaring Adele or something equally depressing into your ears. But this is the greatest motivator. And I know this from experience. I went through some really hard times, but I came out of it with amazing grades and amazing friendships. Your heart will heal and the storm will pass.

7. Call your parents!

My parents did a lot for me leading up to university (buying stuff to fill my dorm room, giving me food and rent money, etc.) and though uni is about spreading your wings and flying the nest, don't forget what's important. I skyped my parents every Sunday evening to catch up and it was always so nice to talk to them and see familiar faces - this ritual was super important to me, and it should be to you too (though, not every week if you don't want to)

8. Go home

To relax, to de-stress, to see old friends, or to simply have a bath; there are so many reasons why every once in a while, you should go home for the weekend. Your mum will do your washing and you can lie on a sofa and have your meals made for you - this is a great way to recharge after weeks of deadlines, or hardcore partying.

9. Missing deadlines doesn't make you cool, it makes you look like an arse

Yes, when you miss a deadline, everyone in your class knows about it. And no, they don't all clap in unison because you've become the bad boy/girl partier who's too cool for school, they sigh and mentally write your name on the list of people to avoid working on group projects with. If you have the stamina, by all means go out 8 days a week, but don't ignore your work because you will look dumb and people will treat you like it.

10. Finally, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

This is your new life, go out and live it! Make new friends, take some shots, break some hearts (including your own) and take as many pictures as you can on your iPhone because these are the days you will always want to remember (especially when you're old and can't boogie like you used to).

If you're going to uni this year, good luck and enjoy every minute!


~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment