Tuesday 17 May 2016

What Next


I had an epiphany one evening last week while driving through Windsor Great Park. It's been a while since I had a really thought-provoking epiphany so it felt kind of nice to know that my subconscious mind is doing something other than replaying the latest Once Upon a Time episode over and over again and making me feel massively sad about the whole CaptainSwan storyline. But I digress. This epiphany came to me as I approached a set of traffic lights where two teenage girls were crossing the road on their horses. I know, typical Windsor. But it got me thinking, I need to get me some of that.

I then attempted to play out quite how I, a twenty-one year old female who's only ever sat on a horse a handful of times at a farm ground and didn't enjoy it one bit (I think it's my total lack of balance) would somehow learn to overcome these insecurities and become a jodhpur wearing babe. Not to mention that I've no idea how much funding that as a hobby would cost. Or if I could stomach being surrounded by Berkshire-bred teens. I'd be all, "kale, am I right?" and they'd be all, "why are you talking to me?". And then I'd cry.


Still, garish reality check aside, there are still a bunch of other hobbies and/or extracurricular activities I could try out to enrich myself. I mean, I'm hopeless at a lot of hobby-esque type things (hands up anyone else who managed to get hit in the eye by a rounders ball during PE! Just me then...) but I am very determined, and oh god so stubborn so I'm thinking perhaps those traits may work in my favour.

1. HORSE-RIDE
Aside from the fact I've already listed all the potential cons to this, there is still a small part of me that's like "yaaaaaassss". Windsor, what on God's green earth have you done to me?

2. TAKE UP YOGA
This I feel is a potentially attainable goal. The fact that I'm the least flexible person on the planet does set some alarm bells ringing though.

3. DO SOMETHING ARTSY LIKE PAINTING, OR MAKE POTTERY OR KNIT JUMPERS FOR DACHSHUNDS
I'm really not very gifted when it comes to all these kind of hands-on creative activities (I still remember the moment I realised I'd managed to cut a hole in my GCSE exam piece) but I spend so much time in front of a screen that getting stuck into something totally different might be a nice change.

4. LEARN TO COOK
This one I'm really down with. I've got super into food lately so I feel like now could be the time to really learn the ins-and-outs of meal creation. I am slightly nervous it'll turn out to be like Masterchef though...

5. BECOME FLUENT IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE
This one I would love to do. Like, honestly love. Sadly though, my brain just isn't wired that way. Even though I did manage to (after several sobbing fits) scrape my way into getting a GCSE in Spanish, I'm so far off fluency it's unreal.

6. FLOWER ARRANGING
I took a class in this once about seven or eight years ago so I've already got a head start. Also, it could help me get one step closer to my dutch tulip farm dream.

7. MEDITATE
I tried this back in my first year of university while I was going through one of those phases. We've all been there, let's not judge. However, thanks to the age of technology, I now have the attention span of a gnat which makes sitting still for a prolonged period of time potentially problematic.

8. PLAY TENNIS
Oh god I cannot tell you how much I wish this could be my hobby but oh god I have absolutely no hand-eye co-ordination and it makes me so sad everyday to know that I've been given a lopsided brain.

9. LEARN HTML
I work in digital marketing so that alone says it all. Also, blogging. I've tinkered with HTML and coding since I started my first Piczo website way back when. Plus, if Karlie Kloss is doing it, why shouldn't I?

10. WALK, HIKE, SKIP, HACK, EXPLORE THE GREAT OUTDOORS
I read a study recently that suggests that walking just twenty minutes each day helps prolong your life (and has a bunch of other great health benefits) and ever since I got my FitBit, I've become super aware of how active I am each day. Not to mention that there's always something pretty to Instagram out in the wide world.

Or perhaps I'll just start with switching up the books I read to include all those classic novels I've never found time to try. Well, I've gotta start somewhere...
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment