Thursday 19 May 2016

Three things I wish I knew when I started out


I've been an account handler for just over nine months now (my first thought when I realised this was, "wow, that's long enough to carry a pregnancy to full term" because you know, I'm totally normal like that). Every day I learn something new, and when I look back at those first few weeks and months, I can see such a huge difference in myself, both personally and professionally. I've come quite a way in that time, but of course, there are a couple of things I wish I'd known sooner...

1. IT DOESN'T GET EASIER, YOU JUST GET BETTER
I feel like this is true for most things, but you never fully realise the extent until you take a step back and reflect. It's like when I first started learning to drive and the idea of 'clutch control' and 'finding the biting point' seemed like things I would never ever be able to master, but lo-and-behold, look at me now, hill-starting like a pro. It's the same with account handling, or any job I guess; my job is by no means easier, but I've just got better at it. Better at knowing what a situation requires, what protocol should be followed, when things get done, who gets them done, what I write in an email, how I approach difficult topics; you know, all those now regular day-to-day activities that this time last year seemed massively daunting. It's like 'Meet the Robinsons' always said, "keep moving forward".

2. A BAD DAY IS JUST THAT; A BAD DAY
I am so bad at this; I have been for as long as I can remember. I hold onto things. And not good things, it's always the bad things. That's why I've been able to hold a grudge since primary school (though now I think about it, I could probs let that go...). All it takes is for one thing to go slightly wrong or not quite how I expected and suddenly the whole day is ruined and I let it sit within me and simmer for the rest of the day. Sometimes longer. All day I'll just keep replaying it over and over again, I'll be thinking of nothing else while I walk back to my car and while I drive home. It's redonk, but I'm slowly learning to let things go and not let them fester; because the reality is that if something really truly bad has happened, you'll know about it, so otherwise, brush it off and move on. Here's a little musical number to really hammer the message home.

3. YOU CAN GET SHIT DONE WITHOUT MAKING ENEMIES
I spent so long thinking that if I said a certain thing a certain way or chased for something too many times or asked for something that seemed like a bother, people would be like "whatevzzzz you're annoying so we can't be friends". But actually, that's so far from true it's almost laughable. In reality, everyone is here to get stuff done, and sometimes, things go awry, or something isn't quite right or there's a disagreement and things are a bit touch and go for a second; but really we've all got two common goals:
1) make cool shit that clients love (and deliver it on time and in budget)
2) get paid
Only lameos set out to make enemies and cause people distress, so really there's nothing to worry about.

~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment