Thursday 17 March 2016

Throwback: Zaanse Schans

Zaanse Schans, Zaandam, The Netherlands

It's no secret that one of my all time favourite places in the world is The Netherlands. I spent several of my childhood summers in various different parts of the country (thanks to Centre Parcs) and I just fell in love with everything about it.

From the freedom of being able to bicycle everywhere (the flat roads were always a treat), the endless green fields, the windmills and adorable tiny villages you can unknowingly stumble upon, to of course, the food: the chocolate, the cheese and then some.

A couple of years ago I visited the most adorable neighbourhood in North Holland called Zaanse Schans. I imagine this is what my version of Neverland would look like because this place is so unbelievably beautiful that I'd happily stay there for eternity. Dating back to the 18th and 19th century, Zaanse Schans is home to eight perfectly well-preserved windmills and other historic houses, as well as museums, tiny boutique shops, a clog making factory, a pancake house and (in Spring) more daffodils than you've ever seen in your life.

With Spring right around the corner, and my wanderlust to return to the area at an all time high, I couldn't really resist sharing this place. Holland, you are #goals.

~ Eleanor xo
You can find out more here

No comments:

Post a Comment