Tuesday 11 August 2015

Adventures in Wonderland | RHS Garden Wisley

This post comes to you as I attempt to nurse my 'back of neck' sunburn. I kind of feel like an eighty year old man, but I think I'm working it. I can't say I'll be venturing out in a top knot and a low back vest top again while the sun still insists of making a mockery of me, though.

The realisation that I should've SPFed up came while I was wandering through the orchards and vineyards (pretending I was on set of the Lindsay Lohan classic, The Parent Trap) of RHS Garden Wisley, and in my euphoria I began to sizzle. And my top knot seemed to attract wasps. But I marched on, after all, I was in my happy place. Because yes, I am an eighty year old trapped inside a twenty year old's body. Like, you know it's bad when your own parents make fun of you for it. Ah, love them.

Wisley has always been one of my favourite places, so naturally, when I heard they were paying homage to Alice in Wonderland, I was excited. We didn't visit purely for that reason, but it was a nice surprise to see the Gardens transformed into a near Wonderland with colourful flowerbeds and miniature statues of the characters. They even set up a Mad Hatter's Tea Party, though I think that was purely for the children, which was, as you can imagine, deeply upsetting.

We also took time to peruse the huge collection of sunflowers currently growing, enjoyed a coffee break where the air was filled with the piercing yells of several children, and then looked on in awe as we witnessed people feeding pieces of bread to the fish in the lake. Yep, definitely fell down a rabbit hole somewhere...

~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment