Wednesday 5 August 2015

21 Things I've Learnt in Twenty-One Years

My twenty-first birthday is rapidly approaching (in seven days, to be precise) but I kind of don't feel old enough to be carrying around that burden. It was only a few months ago that a lady in Sainsbury's informed me that I couldn't purchase the cold and flu tablets I was trying to buy because "you have to be a certain age". She looked positively aghast when I informed her that actually, I'm twenty. She was mortified. I told her it happens all the time. It does happen all the time. But I think it'll be more ego-wounding if it happens when I'm twenty-one.

So apart from the important lesson of always carrying a piece of ID with me, here are twenty-one of the biggest life lessons I've acquired so far...

1. NEVER LOSE YOUR INTEGRITY
The word 'bitch' is tossed around waaay too much these days; you voice your opinion, you're a bitch, you make a suggestion, you're a bitch, you make out with your friend's boyfriend, you're a bitch. I'm kidding about that last one, if you have done that... well you aren't a very nice person. But, if you know who you are, trust in your abilities and what you can achieve, honesty and perseverance will get you there.

2. NEVER EVER HAVE A PLAN B
If there's one thing I want my children to learn from me, it's to never have a backup plan. If you have a plan B then you might as well not bother with plan A.

3. FALL DOWN SEVEN TIMES, STAND UP EIGHT
Potentially the most cliché proverb (is it a proverb?... I feel like it's not...) but it is something I absolutely and whole-heartedly believe in. So life's got you down? Get up. Move on. Keep going. The world will keep turning whether you sit in bed all day and cry or not.

4. SOCIAL MEDIA WILL FOREVER BE THE MOST ADDICTIVE BANE OF MY LIFE
Who doesn't suffer from FOMO these days? It's insane. Pretty much every morning I look down at my soggy cereal and pout because my breakfast does not look like this. My time in restaurants is doubled because I spend so long trying to photograph my dish perfectly. Why?! Why must I do this, and why can't I stop!?

5. LOOKING OUT FOR NUMBER ONE DOESN'T MAKE YOU SELFISH
It makes you smart. When we were cavemen, back in the day, all hairy and grunting at one another, if you saw a mammoth and you didn't have a spear in your hand ready to gut it to death, then my god did you up and leg it as fast as possible. It's survival of the fittest out there, that much I know for sure.

6. YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYONE
And telling yourself otherwise is kind of silly. Someone's always going to have something to say, and if everyone liked everyone, then the world would be a pretty boring place.

7. LOSING PEOPLE YOU CARE ABOUT SUCKS
Nobody stays with you forever, either you drift apart or something drastically bad happens, it is what it is. There isn't a cure for the hole a person leaves in your life, but you get used to the fact they're no longer around.

8. TRUST EXACTLY WHAT YOUR GUT IS TELLING YOU
'Gut' could also be substituted for 'heart', whatever makes you feel more comfortable. In my experience, it will not steer you wrong.

9. "NEVER TELL ALL YOU KNOW - NOT EVEN TO THE PERSON YOU KNOW BEST" ― AGATHA CHRISTIE
It's like if you're playing a game of poker, do you show everyone you're playing with the cards you have? No, because that'd be stupid.

10. FLOWERS DON'T FIX EVERYTHING, BUT THEY'RE A GOOD START
We all know that my life's dream is to run off to Holland and have my own tulip farm. However, right now I'll settle for simply filling my surroundings with beautiful, fresh scentful flowers.

11. ANYONE WHO SAYS THEY AREN'T EVEN A LITTLE BIT MOTIVATED BY MONEY IS LYING
And avoid anyone who says they're solely motivated by love or something equally strange. They could be dangerous.

12. EMBRACE THE FACT YOU SPENT YOUR TEENAGE YEARS TAKING AWFUL SELFIES AND DOING WEIRD POSEY PHOTOSHOOTS FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON
The days of Bebo are long past, but we will always remember them. God I wish we wouldn't always remember them.

13. DON'T RUSH
One day you're standing in Woolworths (yes, that's how old I am) looking at Barbie dolls and thinking to yourself "oh I can't wait until I'm a grown up and I can buy Barbies whenever I want!" and the next you're crippling under the pressure of having to figure out your own finances. Just ride the wave and enjoy the journey!

14. FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT
Or simply 'dress for the life you want to have'. It's impossible to believe in yourself all the time, but if you act like you do, someone else certainly will.

15. TAKE CARE OF YOUR SKIN
You will not be young and beautiful forever, your looks will fade and your skin will sag, that's just a fact of life. It's so important to treat your skin with genuine, nurturing care. Not concealer. I don't believe money can ever be wasted on good skincare.

16. BEING A BITCH DOESN'T MAKE YOU COOL, IT JUST MAKES YOU A BITCH
I feel like this would be the one liner I'd use in the titles of a Real Housewives show. Being a teenager is hard. Really hard. Anyone who says differently is kidding themselves. By all means don your armour, but don't be the person to raise their sword.

17. BE PREPARED TO FIGHT FOR WHAT YOU WANT
Giving up is not an option; good things come to those who get up, kick ass and refuse to take crap from anyone else.

18. ALWAYS BE TOO LEGIT TO QUIT
Keep it real, girl. No one can deny you that.

19. LAUGH ABOUT YOUR QUIRKS
That should probably say 'love', not 'laugh', but it's not always possible to love them, even though they are part of who you are. So what, I say dumb things like "swaggy", "ghetto", "yolo" and a bunch of other ridiculous youth slang words, but I like that, it's funny, it's me. If Justin Bieber can do it, why can't I?

20. YOU DON'T NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO COMPLETE YOU
So often I see people totally unable to live their lives without another individual beside them. It's not sexy, it's not romantic, it's unhealthy and I find it a little creepy. You are not broken, you do not need to be saved, you're doing just fine.

21. BE GRATEFUL
Always, always, always. On good days and on bad days. Be grateful for what you learnt, what you gained and what you lost. No matter what happens, someone out there is fighting for the life you have. I hope I never lose sight of that.

~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment