Wednesday 23 September 2015

An ode to Autumn

*Picks up handful of crisp golden oak tree leaves and throws them in the air*. Oh autumn, you are my favourite. Admittedly, autumn rarely looks like those idyllic photos on Pinterest (you know the ones), but I love it nonetheless. I mean, I love wearing flip flops and applying after-sun like it's nobody's business as much as the next girl, but my heart really lies with Autumn. Why, you ask? Well, for these very reasons:

  • Freshly made soups. When you're not even ill!
  • That light layer of frost on your car. Until you remember you have to scrape it off.
  • Hot chocolate all day every day. Without feeling even remotely weird about it.
  • Blanket scarves. Or in fact, any type of scarf. I pine for scarf wearing weather all year round.
  • Boots. Knee high, ankle, heeled, unheeled, black, brown, grey; you name it, they're in.
  • Baths. Because why stand up in a shower when you can wallow in bubbles?
  • Candles. Absolutely and unapologetically necessary. 
  • Knitwear. And totally owning the 'my grandma made this for me' look.
  • Cinnamon spiced EVERYTHING.
  • GINGERBREAD.
  • FOOD IN GENERAL. I'm not ok.
  • Being able to cancel plans and blame it on the weather.
  • The fact it's socially acceptable to stay in bed and watch films all day.
  • Casseroles. Yes, we're back on the food bandwagon.
  • The colours. Who wants to wear brights when you've got earth tones?
  • Bundling up. I'm a lover of layers. There's far too much exposing of limbs during Summertime.
  • Being able to see your breath. Because I'm actually still a child.
  • Strictly Come Dancing. Because I'm also eighty.
  • The return of all your favourite shows. I'm looking specifically at you, Once Upon A Time...
  • Having the heating on. And feeling like a toasty burrito at night.
  • Everyone starts getting a bit festive. *hums quietly* Holidays are coming, holidays are coming...
  • Constantly using the phrase "I don't know where this year's gone!". Because time passes and we're always so surprised...
  • Constantly using the phrase "Gosh, isn't it dark!". Because even at midday, this comment still stands.
  • The return of those really strange and unintentionally humorous Bonfire Night safety adverts.
  • Fireworks. And seeing pictures of them all over Instagram.
  • Waving farewell to leg shaving season. Feel free not to hurry back!
  • Conkers. They remind me of my youth. And that one time I threaded a load onto a piece of string and made a snake. 
  • The foliage in general. And how great it looks on Instagram.
  • That cool chill in the air. And always being told when your nose has gone bright red.
  • The ever-growing desire to bake things or make dishes from scratch. Well, why not?
  • Wellies. Because who doesn't want to jump in puddles on a rainy afternoon?
Well this list ended up being longer than I anticipated... turns out I really do love autumn.
~ Eleanor xo

No comments:

Post a Comment